Tuesday, January 20, 2009

What to do when you get change you don't believe in

God has been teaching me a lot during this past year, especially about politics. I have learned as a leader that every comment I make (whether in jest or off the cuff) can be taken and celebrated by some or it can appear hurtful to others. This must be why James 1:19 (ESV) reminds us to be "should be quick to listen, slow to speak and slow to become angry." So it is with that spirit that I tread carefully into this post.

What should the response be concerning today and the inauguration of President Obama? Well I have several things guiding my thinking today. My first and natural response is to be disappointed. Disappointed because I disagree with Obama on almost every issue (accept for obvious things like stopping the spread of AIDS, and things that most everyone agrees on). I am especially disheartened about his positions on pro life issues. This is extra sensitive to me because I have a daughter who was born at 25 weeks and I have seen first hand the process of how life forms. I know how early babies can be sustained outside the womb. My 25 weeker could still have been aborted in many states and thinking about it angers me.

My disagreements being voiced upfront my second response, and the one I am trying to focus on (especially today) is one of excitement. As a Christian I am so thrilled to see some of Martin Luther King's dream being realized today. I believe the MLK was one of the most influential leaders of the 20th Century. Not only was he an amazing vision caster, speaker, and leader, but he was right on the issues he spoke to (equality and the value of all people). To many times we see great speakers and leaders out there but they are wrong on the issues. MLK was spot on. As Christians we need to love all people no matter what color, gender, preference, or political leaning. We do not have to agree with them on everything, but we must love them. So today is a day of celebration. America has come so far in my generation and I am proud to see it culminate with the events of today. The scripture says in Romans 12:15 that we should "rejoice with those who rejoice." So I am going to choose to rejoice that this stronghold in America is coming down.

My third thought on today is that I am going to commit myself to pray for my President and his family. I know that God is in control and he tells us in Romans 13:1 that "Everyone must submit himself to the governing authorities, for there is no authority except that which God has established. The authorities that exist have been established by God." 1 Timothy 2:1-2 says "I urge, then, first of all, that requests, prayers, intercession and thanksgiving be made for everyone— for kings and all those in authority, that we may live peaceful and quiet lives in all godliness and holiness."

With those verses in my mind today I will celebrate this amazing day knowing that God is Sovereign and that his authority is above all earthly authority. I will also pray that President Obama walks closely with Christ and makes wise choices as he leads us. After today I will add one more sentence to my prayer....and please help Mike Huckabee defeat him in the 2012 election.

No comments:

Post a Comment